Baby Colic Treatment at Sharratt Chiropractic
Being the parent of a newborn is not always easy. Sure babies are cute and sweet, but the sleepless nights and the crying can make being the parent of a newborn difficult. This is especially true if your child has colic.
What Is Colic?
To this day, colic is still a mystery. If your baby is well-fed and healthy yet he or she still cries for more than three hours a day more than three days a week, he or she may have colic. There are a few facts about colic that you should know if you think that your baby has colic.
- Colic often begins when your baby is around 2-weeks-old.
- Colic will go away on its own when your baby is between three and four months old.
- Your baby's sex and whether or not they were bottle fed will affect the condition.
- Kids who have colic as babies grow up no differently than kids who didn't.
What Causes Colic?
The cause of colic is not clear; however, doctors do have theories regarding the cause.
- Muscles often spasm while the digestive system is growing
- Over stimulation due to noise and light
- A still-developing nervous system
How Is Colic Treated?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for colic. There are things that you can try to do to treat the condition. Since all babies are different, certain treatments work for some babies but not for others. If you try one method and it doesn't work, you should try another. The best treatments for colic include:
- Lay him or her in a dark, quiet room on her back
- Swaddle the baby tightly in a blanket
- Lay the baby across your lap and rub her back
- Put a warm water bottle on your baby's belly
- Have your baby suck on a pacifier
- Give your baby a warm bath
- Chiropractic care and massage
How Can a Chiropractor Help a Colicky Baby?
A chiropractic adjustment is very safe for infants. The chiropractor would make sure that the procedure is very gentle and studies have shown that it is an effective treatment for colic. If you don't want to rely on medications or if changing your baby's diet doesn't sound like a good option, you should consider seeing a chiropractor.
If your baby is suffering from colic, you should schedule an appointment with Sharratt Chiropractic. We see patients in Batavia, St. Charles, Aurora, Geneva, and surrounding areas. Our chiropractor will gently treat your baby which will help with the colic. After your first visit, your baby will be happier. When your baby is happier, you will be much happier as well. After continuing treatment, you will have fewer sleepless nights.