Our Batavia Chiropractor Can Help You Achieve Effective Healing from Lower Back Pain
At Sharratt Chiropractic, one of the most common reasons people of all ages come in to see us is lower back pain. Our Batavia chiropractor is proud to provide high quality and completely drug-free back pain treatment.
Frequent Causes of Lower Back Pain
Why is back pain so common? The following causes or factors are frequently at play:
- Physically demanding job
- Sedentary lifestyle (sitting is actually pretty stressful on the back!)
- Auto accident, personal injury, or sports injury
- Poor ergonomics at work
- Frequent bending, lifting, twisting
- Other health conditions like obesity, depression, and smoking
- A prior episode of back pain
- Previous back surgery or fusion
The above factors may lead to conditions such as osteoarthritis, muscle strain, joint subluxation (misalignment), stenosis, and degenerative disc disease. In other cases, there may be no clear diagnosis underlying your back pain. However, even these so-called "idiopathic" cases can begin to improve naturally as a result of chiropractic care.
Signs & Symptoms: How Lower Back Pain Often Presents
Lower back pain often feels achy, dull, and sore. With certain movements, you may also experience sharp or stabbing pain. We frequently see additional signs and symptoms in our patients with lower back pain, including:
- Muscle spasm or tender, tense muscle ache
- Decreased range of motion and flexibility in the hips and shoulders
- Muscle shortening in the hamstrings, hip flexors, and shoulder internal rotators (e.g., pecs)
- Abnormal and/or excessive curvature of the spine
- Bowel, bladder or reproductive problems
If the underlying cause of your lower back pain involves impingement of a nerve root in the lumbar area, additional symptoms in a leg may occur, including numbness, nerve pain, tingling, and weakness.
How Our Chiropractor Evaluates & Manage Your Lower Back Pain
When you come to us for help from your lower back pain, our chiropractor uses orthopedic, neurologic and chiropractic tests, X-rays as indicated, and medical/personal/family history interviews to diagnose as accurately as possible your condition. Based on his findings, he'll implement a customized treatment plan which may include:
- Chiropractic adjustment
- Massage therapy
- Corrective exercise rehabilitation
- Nutritional therapies
- Pain-relieving therapies like electrical stimulation
Together, these services can relieve inflammation and pain, restore normal joint alignment in the spine, trigger natural pain relief, improve the function of your central nervous system, restore normal posture and muscle function, and prevent recurring symptoms. Everything you need to get "back" in action!